Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Thoughts from the elliptical

My love/ Nemesis

I think I am finally getting the hang of working out. For the first time in my life, I feel good when I work out, not just bored at the time then glad I did after.

My weight loss has been stalled, but after dropping my initial 30 pounds, I have kept it off for over a month. I am going to call that a win, and push my self to get off this plateau.

I have also seen a huge increase in my fitness since we started this plan. In November we would go to the gym and do a 20 or 30 minute workout. I would get on the elliptical, set it to "please be nice" aka the easiest setting and just try to survive 10 or 15 minutes, then switch to the recumbent bike for 10 or 15 minutes.

Now I pop back and forth every 20 minutes when the gym is busy, limited only by the "20 minute limit when someone is waiting" rule. And I often get back in line to go back on the elliptical, setting it on 6 or 7.

I was getting pretty pleased that we had increased our workouts to 40-45 minutes, more than double what we were doing some days!

Then this last week I have had what feels like a "fitness breakthrough"; instead of being bored and tired and forcing myself to keep working, I have actually started to enjoy the workout itself. This doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of days where I would prefer to nap on the couch, and I know I have a long road ahead to fitness, but this big step forward is making me feel finally good at the gym.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't that a great feeling? It makes it much easier to keep it up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! Your blog encourages me to keep going. I've recently upped my elliptical time from 30 minutes to 36 minutes and even made it 43 minutes this weekend. I'm still bored and not doing it as often as I should but I was so proud of myself for saying a 2 week slackoff was enough and getting back on the fitness wagon this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you sweetheart. <3 We can go again tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Please be nice. That is all.